Vertical Market Features
Depending on their industry, developers can have unique payment requirements. Vantiv’s enterprise payment platform supports value-added features for several industry verticals. While not a complete list, examples of industry specific features are listed here.
- Retail – MarketCodes and other functions required by major retailers including TerminalIDs, terminal capability codes, clerk numbers, shift IDs and more.
- Restaurant, QSR – allowable excess limits after authorization for tips, appropriate MarketCodes for food restaurants, quick-serve restaurants etc.
- MOTO (mail order / telephone order) – MOTO EIC (Electronic Indicator Code), ticket numbers, and other parameters required by card brands for MOTO
- eCommerce – enumerated types required for different types of eCommerce transactions and features for securely capturing card data from a web-site or mobile application
- Healthcare – enumerations for different health care account types, and payment amount types such as transit, copayments, prescription, vision, dental and more
- Fuel – terminal types for fuel pumps and environment codes supporting local or remote, attended or unattended fuel pumps as well as other extensions required for fuel sales
- Lodging – includes a variety of payment features specific to lodging including program codes, lodging related charge types (restaurants or gift shops), advanced deposit, no show indicators, agreement numbers, check-in and check-out dates, room tax indicators and extensions like Visa’s prestigious property program
- Auto rental – extensions for the auto industry including rental agreement numbers, pickup and drop off location, vehicle class rented, distance traveled, adjustments for mileage, fuel, damage etc.
How industry extensions are implemented depends on the integration method.
Enterprise merchants working with Vantiv on direct ISO 8583 integrations will have access to all of the industry extensions above and more.
Contact a Vantiv integration consultant for details about any of these vertical extensions.
For eCommerce, MOTO and some retail requirements or unattended kiosk requirements, developers may be able to meet application requirements using only Vantiv’s eCommerce integration methods but for applications with strong card present requirements (like Fuel, Lodging and Retail) developers will probably want to consider a direct ISO integration, use Vantiv’s Express gateway.
Express exposes functionality for most of the industry applications above except Fuel purchases involving fleet cards.
If you are unsure what features you need for the industry you are supporting, or what integration method is best, contact us and one of our integration consultants would be happy to help.
Enterprise merchants can accept the following tender types using Vantiv’s payment platform.
- Credit (all major brands)
- Pin debit
- Pinless debit
- Vantiv premiere issue gift card
- International payments
The tender types you can accept depends on the integration method and processing platform. For example the Express API does not support Pinless debit, WIC (it does support EBT) or Fleet cards.
Contact a Vantiv integration consultant for help choosing the right integration method based on the tender types you need to accept.
If you are implementing a website or mobile application, and have no need for card present payments, Vantiv eCommerce solutions may be more appropriate to your needs.
Authorization and Settlement features
Developers can take advantage of the following authorization and settlement features on Vantiv’s enterprise payment platform:
- Contactless / Near Field Communication (NFC), also known as “tap” technology
- Cardholder Activated Terminals (CAT) or kiosks – for compliance with regulations around unattended purchases
- Partial authorizations - when there are insufficient funds available to authorize the requested amount of a purchase
- IIAS – FSA – support for specialized account types including Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and health savings accounts for merchants with an Inventory Information Approval System (IIAS).
- Visa Debt Repayment – support for merchants participating in Visa’s Debt Repayment Program.
- Draft locator ID
- Foreign currency pricing
- Dynamic currency conversion
- Level 2 card data – allows additional information to be attached to card transactions for commercial and government card holders for better interchange rates
- Level 3 card data – additional information fields required for business to business or business to government card transactions for better interchange rates
- Verified by VISA, MasterCard Secure – additional security levels offered by card brands to further authenticate transactions and to help reduce fraud
- Soft descriptors – transaction specific billing descriptors visible on a customer credit card bill to reduce in incidence of chargebacks
- Signature capture – electronic signature capture technology, typically used with debit transactions
- Quasi cash – referring to transactions directly convertible to cash including gaming chips or travelers checks
- Recurring payments
- Bill payments
- Installment payments
- Convenience fees
- Incremental authorizations – re-authorizations of payments exceeding initial authorization amounts by a threshold amount
- Tokenization – A security strategy where sensitive cardholder data is converted to low value tokens that can be safely stored by a merchant
- Voltage encryption – A security point-to-point encryption technology for payment processors and device manufacturers developed by Hewlett Packard
- DUKPT encryption – Derived Unique Key Per Transaction (DUKPT) typically used to encrypt PIN data acquired by point of sale devices
- EMV – stands for Europay, MasterCard Visa, a technical standard for securing payment cards.
Settlement related options are:
- Terminal capture
- Host capture
Details of features above and how they are implemented will depend on your integration method. Please contact a Vantiv integration consultant for assistance choosing the best integration method.
Integration options and tools
Available integration options and tools for enterprise merchants depends on the method of integration. The table below provides a summary of integration methods and tools by integration method. Please contact a Vantiv integration consultant for assistance choosing the right integration method depending on the features you need to support.
This is not an exhaustive list of integration options by any means.
ISO 8583 / Tandem 610
Open Message format
Dedicated Developer Support & Consulting
Learn about other Platform features for enterprise applications.