Sending and receiving XML formatted transactions
Vantiv provides developers with multiple communication options to send and receive secure XML encoded transactions for both batch and on-line transactions. Developers can choose a preferred method depending on their environment and their coding preference.
A summary of available options are shown below:
|HTTPS Post||TLS v1.1||N/A||Required|
|TCP/IP Socket||TLS v1.1||N/A||N/A|
|FTP||PGP or GPG (open source)||Recommended||N/A|
Some advantages of using LitleXML for integrations are listed below.
- Easier implementation, operations and debugging – Compared to fixed length or binary formats, the XML format is considerably easier to read and edit using a variety of text editors making it easier to spot and resolve issues.
- Language and OS independent – A clear benefit of the XML interface is that it imposes few constraints on the developer in terms of tools, languages nor operating environments and it requires no client-side libraries. So long as a developer can send and receive XML via HTTP or a TCP/IP socket connection or via FTP, they can easily use the interface.
- Fewer downgrades, more cost effective processing – Since the LitleXML format allows you to explicitly tie deposits to their associated authorizations using the <litleTxnId> element, your transactions qualify for the best interchange rates more frequently than formats that do not support this cross referencing.
- Simpler Capture (Deposit) and Refund Transactions – Because the LitleXML format associates related transactions using the <litleTxnID> element, Vantiv’s format does not require you to resubmit all of the authorization information for a deposit, nor all the deposit information for a refund. This simplifies coding and helps avoid the possibility of errors.
- Superior reporting – The LitleXML format allows you to separate your transaction into different categories relevant to your business by specifying a ReportGroup for each transaction. This provides benefits for clients using Vantiv’s reporting and analysis tools because it allows them to filter their transactions by Report Groups and view payment data in a fashion that is most relevant to their business.
- Improved Chargeback Management – Unlike other formats that do not clearly link authorizations to deposits, and deposits to refunds, Vantiv LitleXML allows you to see these relationships with precision making it much easier to provide documentation necessary to contest inappropriate chargebacks.
- Implement new features quickly – All of the new features exposed in Vantiv’s eCommerce payment processing platform are first exposed in the XML format. Developers depending on higher level interfaces may find that they cannot access a needed feature until it is supported by a higher level library or interface. Some of the advanced features exposed only in LitleXML presently include:
- Auth / Sales Recycling Engine
- Fraud Filtering Services and the Fraud Toolkit
- Customer Insights
- Chargeback Management API
Developers who are unsure what integration method to use may benefit from reviewing choosing the right integration method.