So you want to start developing a payment solution using Worldpay from FIS technology. It's easy, right? You’ll simply google it, pick the correct APIs, and start coding. Developers trust that they know their craft well and love to start creating new solutions right away. Programming is fun, so who can blame them?
Well, it's easy once you get to the development part. But soon you realize you're in trouble: there are plenty of methods and parameters to investigate, technical and business terms you don't clearly understand, and classes that look similar but are designed for different payment flows.
When it comes to payment solutions, there are numerous issues at stake that programmers can't solve alone. Such an undertaking requires teamwork to plan and execute each phase properly.
Before you start coding, there are some procedures you need to follow. And we are committed to ensuring your experience with Worldpay from FIS payment technology is as smooth and secure as possible.
Even if you’re already a Worldpay from FIS partner, it is important to get your new project off to the right start. We'll cover the steps we recommend that every vendor follow when starting a new engagement with Worldpay from FIS.
Getting Off to a Good Start
Developers love to jump right in and start building. But suppose you spend hours developing 10 payment methods and, at the end of the week, you find out that only three of them are needed for your business.
If you start coding without proper business and technical support, chances are you'll end up putting more time and effort into your solution than needed. But this is nothing compared to the complications that lurk beyond coding. Let's dive in and discuss some major concerns that arise when implementing payment integration.
- Since the vast majority of worldwide purchases are made using card-based numbers and eWallets, preventing payment security issues is a top priority for anyone doing business online.
- If you’re developing a "card-not-present" solution, such as e-commerce, you should be aware of risks associated with online transactions. Reducing merchant exposure to fraudulent misuse and fraud-related chargebacks is a concern when trading online.
- Entering new global markets can be difficult. Cross-border e-commerce demands knowledge of local markets. A payment partner with expertise on cross-border integration helps bridge those gaps.
- Payment gateways offer a variety of payment methods that fit different businesses and different markets. Those options include credit and debit cards, bank transfers, e-Wallets, pre-pay, and post-pay schemes. But given these alternatives, how should you develop a payment solution that best suits your needs, without getting lost in the gateway integration?
A successful payment solution requires sorting out questions that touch many aspects of your business and goes beyond just coding.
Worldpay will make sure you have the right solution and the right tools for your business and your project.
Beginning Your Engagement
Do you already have a relationship with Worldpay? Get in touch with your Worldpay Business Development representative, who’ll point you in the right direction.
The Worldpay Business Development staff consists of seasoned professionals, experienced in building new relationships between solutions provided by Worldpay and businesses like yours.
Worldpay holds the privileged position of partnering with dynamic organizations worldwide. The Worldpay Business Development team is ready to build up a new relationship with your company, focusing on bringing you solutions that provide maximum value to your business.
Assessing Your Business
Whether you're starting a first project or just a new project, Business Development will need some information before they can advise you:
- Make sure you have an idea of your transaction volume and annual revenue before your kick-off call with Developer Integrations (DI).
- Are you a payment facilitator performing transactions on behalf of merchants? Worldpay PayFac experience provides the tools you need to onboard sub-merchants, collect payments on your schedule, and reduce risk.
- Are you a value-added reseller (VAR) or an independent software vendor (ISV)? VARs will enjoy innovative technologies designed for fast, secure, and cost-effective processing services. And if you’re an (ISV), Worldpay will help you build your brand and win more business by reducing processing costs and increasing your revenue.
- Do you have any existing contracts and value-added services (like check-processing) that will not be routed through Worldpay? Working with multiple contracts is a common scenario. Knowing this beforehand is essential so the Business Development team can outline a solution designed with your reality in mind.
- What hardware will you need us to support? With so many payment terminals to choose from, you should get advice about which one is most suitable for your business. Worldpay will help you by supporting the right equipment, based on your needs, budget, and plans for the future.
What's the Process?
As soon as our team understands your business and project, Business Development will evaluate your plans and set up a meeting with Developer Integrations. The Solutioning team works with Business Development to ensure you're choosing the right APIs and understand what is involved in your solution in terms of architecture, manpower, and so on.
The process starts with the first contact with Business Development and Solution Architects to evaluate your plans. Next, they’ll set up a kick-off meeting with Business Development, Developer Integrations, and stakeholders on your team to discuss project planning and requirements.
The foundation of any successful integration project is people. We believe strongly in having the right people at the table to discuss the project. The optimal mix will comprise business decision-makers and technical implementers, including CEO/CTO, lead engineer or primary developer, and project coordinator.
Details and requirements decided previously have to be reviewed and followed correctly for successful integration. Kick-off calls will be highly technical, so ask all the questions so Developer Integrations consultants can troubleshoot and anticipate problems.
The more info about your business plans and your current workflow you bring to the table, the easier the planning and execution of the next phases will be.
What to Expect From the Worldpay from FIS Team
Our Developer Integrations team has worked with many types of clients over the years, giving us accumulated experience and technical skills. You can expect excellence from our team!
Despite the technical nature of the Developer Integrations staff, they’ll be working with your business in mind because they’re involved in your integration project from the start. We'll be doing our best to deliver an integration that meets your business needs.
First, we’ll discuss the scope of the work—and decide who’ll be responsible for which parts of the project, schedules, and phases.
Next, we'll review the certification procedures. We take compliance seriously, and you should, too. For example, by acquiring the PCI (Payment Card Industry) certification, your business is acknowledged as a member of a secure network of commerce partners. We'll be discussing how to implement the PCI requirements, phases, and levels of compliance. Plus, we also have integrations that can help keep your business out of scope, meaning a big portion of the potential liability lies on our shoulders.
What about hardware? Obviously, POS systems demand the use of devices. Depending on the nature of your business, the equipment can vary widely. We'll advise you on what hardware to purchase.
Then we'll discuss milestones and project timelines. Before the payment solution goes live, it should go through a testing phase. The Developer Integrations team will provide you with credentials for the sandbox environment, where you can test your code end-to-end.
Remember: Developer Integrations is your dedicated development contact. Team members speak the same technical language as your developers and will be ready to help you throughout the implementation.
Ready to get started? Contact your Worldpay from FIS Business Development representative, or use the Get Started page to make a request.
For more information about Worldpay from FIS, check out the big picture from our resources: "Developers, developers, developers." After all, we know people like you are behind successful projects. Access the North America Merchant Solutions Developer Community and join the network to get articles, forums, and docs related to Worldpay integration development.
Need more detailed information on development? We're here to help!
- Developer or not, let's talk. Go to the Get Started to Partner with Worldpay from FIS page, and tell us how Worldpay can help.
- If you want to get down to technical stuff, explore the Worldpay Developer Portal. Here you can find Merchant Solution APIs as well as all things developer-related for North America.
- Worldpay Developer Community is where people like you connect to get help, make suggestions and share experiences.