When a new ThoughtWorks Technology Radar hits the press, we are always the first people to dig in and drink from the technology fire hose. If there is anything that could get a technologist to salivate it is the anticipation of new technology trends that the ThoughtWorks team noodles on.
However, looking back, we had never performed a deep dive and truly studied the content and ramifications in the radar. Well, that all changed a few months ago when our team wondered....."can we create a payments radar?" And if we could what would it look like?
Instead of completely rebuilding the radar from scratch we leveraged the ThoughtWorks team's categories where appropriate, but removed quite a few of the radar "blips" that did not seem to apply directly to the payments world. Our radar is based on the November 2016 version of the Thoughtworks Radar which you can view here. The result was three out of the four categories the ThoughtWorks team used: Techniques, Tools, and Platforms. We then included a fourth category that fit the payments world like a glove: Fintech. The one category we removed was Languages & Frameworks. Many of those blips are utilized in the payments world but we found the other categories had a much larger impact on teams that develop and deliver payment applications and also wanted to leave a bit of room for our own submissions under Fintech.
We also leveraged the fabulous radar open source software created by the ThoughtWorks team located here. There is also an excellent blog post and podcast on the whole concept of building a radar here. If you have not figured it out by now we have a little bit of a technology crush on the ThoughtWorks team and will forever thank them for the infrastructure and insight that pushed us on what we are calling the Tech Vitality path. We hope our version of the radar will help everyone that reads it inject some vitality into their business by looking towards the future of technology. A quick mention: have a read through the 'personal technology radar' in the above-mentioned blog post. It's a great way to think about your technology career path.
What did we find most interesting and what were our reactions:
- Wow, the amount of content is huge...and we only published one. The ThoughtWorks team appears to publish multiple versions of this over many years. It's truly incredible.
- Software fundamentals are still the same in product delivery but the whole continuous delivery paradigm has changed the world in a profound way. This is especially intriguing in the payments world where delivering value quickly is of the utmost importance.
- IndiaStack is one of the most interesting concepts and reminds us that at times we need to pull ourselves out of the places we live and look around at what the rest of the world is doing. Collaboration is such a wonderful thing and often as technologists, we get so focused on the problems at hand that we miss the forest for the trees.
- The Physical Web -- this is also an intriguing subject that we hope to explore in more detail soon. While not targeted specifically at the payment industry, there is so much overlap it beckons us.
- Slight Embarrassment -- how have we not heard of some of these technologies? Tempered with the truth that it is incredibly difficult to know everything. What an incredible world we live in that allows us to immediately communicate with one another, transact in multiple currencies, pay for an item with a phone, and then write about it and share it with all of our Vantiv friends and partners. An incredible world indeed!
Please feel free to contact us and/or provide comments directly within the Tech Vitality site. We welcome your feedback and would enjoy collaborating on future versions of the Tech Vitality site.