Kevin Eksterowicz is a Talent Acquisition Leader at Vantiv. I asked him about the new hiring approach that Vantiv rolled out this year (and that my team has used to great success). Here's what he had to say:
One of the most impactful exercises a company executes is its selection of new employees. And when you’re growing as rapidly as Vantiv, the stakes are especially high. In 2016 alone, we filled almost 1,400 jobs!
However, when we scanned the organization late last year, a few things stuck out like a sore thumb:
- Our interview and selection process lacked consistency and structure.
- Interview training and tools were not on any of our curriculum.
- Feedback on candidate experience was often lackluster at best.
- Turnover within the first 12 months of hire was 23%, 75% of which took place within the first six months.
We stopped in our tracks and realized that we had a huge opportunity in front of us to deliver value and impact to this growing organization.
After months of planning, developing and piloting, we launched Vantiv’s SELECT! program on July 31st. SELECT! is an approach to interviewing and selection that embraces a set structure and strategy for all roles in the organization, ideally with just one on-site visit limited to four interview sessions. These sessions are tied directly to Vantiv’s leadership model and evaluate a candidate not just on experience and job titles, but through deep focus on the competencies required for success.
We call these sessions our interview focus areas:
- Role Fit
- Business Impact
- Culture & Values.
Focus areas remain consistent across all levels of the organization, yet the competencies and suggested interview questions vary by level. The outcome is a well-rounded candidate evaluation and a candidate experience that feels robust, streamlined and smooth.
Our Talent Management and Talent Acquisition teams worked hand-in-hand to develop this program complete with:
- Interactive, online, level-based interview guides with recommended behavior-based interview questions
- An interactive feedback mechanism to capture candidate-specific scores and notes for each focus area
- Mandatory comprehensive eLearning courses: one for people leaders, one for individual contributor interview panelists
- Half-day classroom training
- People Leader and Interviewer job aids
- An Interview Checklist
- Custom approaches for nuanced groups: sales (remote), executive, front-line operations
Just three months in, almost every people leader (740+) and over 300 interviewers have completed the eLearning. New hire Michael Rose was one of the first candidates to go through the new hiring process. He said, "As I interviewed with potential new employers, Vantiv’s interview process stood out above the pack. Vantiv sent a clear message to me during the interview process… a well-organized and focused approach to finding the best candidate while providing an excellent candidate experience for me. The detailed/thoughtful interview process was a large factor for me choosing Vantiv! Even the follow-up call from my new Leader after I had accepted the offer reassured me I had definitely made the right choice.”
Early feedback on the SELECT! process is very positive and by this time next year, we target marked improvement in early attrition, candidate experience feedback, time to fill metrics and hiring manager satisfaction feedback. Hiring Manager Shannon Reichart said of SELECT!, “this team approach has not only helped me as a hiring manager to make an informed decision regarding new hires, but I believe that it is creating a positive experience for our candidates, providing them with greater insights into Vantiv from other perspectives. Select will give us the foundation that we need as a leadership team to recruit, develop, and retain great people here at Vantiv!”